Sunday 11 October 2009

Being Minority

Recently I read by chance an article written by my teacher about "a small group of people and professionalism". A professional is a small group of people, surely, but would you say that they are equal? After reading the article, I resonate a lot about my university life that why I would quite be ambiguous about my personal identification of being minority. My teacher has written that being minor is not so prideful to the equivalent extent of being professional. This is a very unique phenomenon in Hong Kong which really deserves its name--the desert of culture. Yes, I know, as most social and cultural critics have argued that it is a colonial discourse that focuses on high, fine and western culture only, but I want to make a further argument, "so doesn't it matter?" In other words, what I am really asking is why one has to suffer from her/his interest in high, fine and western culture. Aren't we part of the culture we are living? Why in those eyes have I to pretend elite? I am both "elite" and common! No, elite in Hong Kong is not such a person who is able to understand and appreciate high culture. So funny is Hong Kong society that social status is always consistent with one's economic capacity but never with one's cultural appreciation capacity. This is the difference between a professional and a minority as well as the reason of suffering. It is now a shame for being interested in Western classical music, for I am pretending elite.

No comments: